Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Someday Was This Weekend

The impossible happened.
I hoped it would happen Someday, but I didn't realize it would happen this year. It all happened this weekend. 
It was better than I imagined it could be.

I took a trip to Texas to meet my birth mom.

She didn't know I was coming. 
Her husband did. Her 3 daughters did. They planned the whole thing. They even offered to buy my ticket. Two of the daughters picked me up from the airport. With large pink signs and luminous grins, they waited at the bottom of the escalator for me. They showered me with hugs, flowers, and treats. And we took pictures. 

I have sisters.

We sat up way past midnight talking. The next morning was the big reveal. There were video cameras. And a few nerves. They were all at the house, and I knocked on the door. She was surprised when I walked in. We had chatted before on Facebook, sending messages and emails. We had Facetimed, with all of my family barging in past their bedtimes. She knew who I was. There were hugs. And tears. A lot of them. 

The family had another surprise in store, a big birthday party later in the day. So not only did I have the chance to meet her and her family, I had the chance to meet extended family and long-time friends. There were more hugs. And more tears. And more pictures. 

What do you do to get to know your family?
We talked a lot. And ate a lot. And laughed a lot. 
I learned that I share blood with a group of the nicest, most loving people you could ever hope to meet. They're extremely close. And hilarious. 
They're the kind of family you find in the happy ending of sappy movies. 
But this isn't a sappy movie.
This is my life. 
And I'm a bit in awe. And completely overwhelmed. In only the best of ways. 

I'm still floating a bit. A bit disoriented, actually. 
I was prepared for a lot. But I don't think I ever expected it would be so great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment