Monday, November 26, 2012

3 Years of Exponential Joy

Three years ago today, at about this time, I was holding a tiny new person. I'd had enough hours to sleep off the effects of her birth. I'd managed the newborn phase of her older sister, so I knew (kinda) what I was getting myself into. But I wondered how I would manage TWO little blessings in my life. I knew I wouldn't be going back to work full time. I knew my role of full-time-employed-person-who-knew-important-stuff would change, and I'd suddenly be a stay-at-home-mom to 2 children. I knew things would change. I knew we'd be ok, and I suspected I'd never regret any of it.

What I didn't yet know about was how each extra child didn't just add extra joy to your family. No, even "multiplication" was not significant enough to describe the difference. I think "exponential increases of joy" is a more accurate description of the change. 

I won't deny that the change was tough. There were some rather dark days at the beginning. Having 2 babies in 2 years is not an undertaking for wussies. Combining that with seismic shifts of self-concept and identity certainly didn't help much. You couldn't pay me enough to go back to those days.

But, as every tough phase of childhood does, it all passed. I learned, I grew. They learned, they grew. They grew into delightful and entertaining little people. And the joy grew exponentially. Here are a few sources of joy that the last few years have brought:


  • Meeting a new little person, and learning that her personality was different from every other person in our family.
  • Learning the role of nature vs. nurture, and realizing that it wasn't all because of me. 
  • Seeing the results of teaching and training, and seeing that some of it could be from me.
  • Having a cuddly child in the house when another was independent.
  • Watching independence grow while having to hold another. 
  • Watching the beginning of a lifelong sister relationship.
  • Watching the development  and growth of that sisterhood.
  • The relief of observing that my children are smarter, cuter, funnier, and more interesting than I am. 
  • Watching beloved dogs grow to accept and love my children.
  • Watching my children grow to love and care for my dogs.
  • Observing a spark of music in my children that is beyond what I could give them.
  • Watching my husband grow in importance in the eyes of my daughters.
  • Watching my husband grow as a result of my daughters.
  • Enjoying the growth in our relationship as a result of parenting our daughters.
  • Nurturing a faith in young hearts that is greater than I'd ever imagine in children so young.
  • Receiving exuberant hugs, kisses, and artwork with a frequency that is sometimes overwhelming.


I could keep going. 

Despite missing a fantastic gourmet Thanksgiving meal the day that she was born, the entrance of MeToo into our lives was a huge blessing. And I give thanks for that day, 3 years ago today. 
Happy Birthday MeToo!

No comments:

Post a Comment