Saturday, June 16, 2012

Bedtime Prayers

One of my favorite parts of the day is bedtime. The girls' bedtime. My bedtime is good too, but I'm usually way too tired to truly revel in it. But the girls' bedtime is something that I look forward to. Not just for the sudden calm that descends upon our household. Although that is a truly wonderful thing... 


I enjoy our nightly routine of bedtime prayers. Every night, we gather as a family to say the traditional, "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep...". Then we take turns saying special prayers to thank God for specific things in our day or ask for something we want. It's fun to see what's rattling around in the girls' heads at bedtime - this is what usually comes out during their prayers. 


MeToo has been stuck in a rut lately. She's adopted some of my typical prayer themes:  thank you for a good job, please help us all sleep through the night. But the way she blended them makes me sound like a madam. "Dear Desus, tank oo for Mommy go to work in da nigh. Please hep her stay safe trough the nigh. Amen."


HeyMama's have been a bit more colorful. Last night she thanked God for keeping us safe from raccoons, then asked Him to help her keep her undies dry. Tonight, apparently also thankful for my job, we heard, "Dear Jesus, Thank you for letting Mommy go to work in a hospital... and thank you for letting her help people... and thank you for letting her make lots of MONEY! Amen."


Well, I'm not sure if I made LOTS of money today, but I am thankful for the other stuff. And I'm thankful HeyMama doesn't think I work in whorehouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment